Notifications when Timer+ is in the background
Timer+ schedules its alert with the iOS notification system. When Timer+ is in the background (not visible on your screen), the iOS notification system will deliver the alerts and play sounds on Timer+'s behalf.
First, make sure iOS notifications are enabled for Timer+. If you are seeing Timer+ notification banners, you can skip this step.
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap "Notifications"
- Scroll down and look for Timer+ and tap on it.
Make sure Allow notifications is ON, and also the following:
- Time-Sensitive Notifications must be set to ON. Otherwise, the notifications won't arrive right when the timer goes off.
- Banner Style should be Persistent if you want to hear the alert sound for as long as possible (30 seconds). Otherwise, you will only see and hear the alert for several seconds.
Silent / Mute switch
Please make sure your Silent/Mute switch is set to Off. iOS notifications will respect your mute switch and ringer volume.
iOS notifications (and ringers) also have their own volume that is separate from the volume in your apps and music.
Here's how you can check to make sure your notification volume is high enough.
- Open Settings app
- Tap on Sounds & Haptics
- In the Ringtone and Alert Volume section, make sure the volume is something that you can hear. When you change the volume, it will play your ringtone to preview the volume level.
Notification sound length
iOS notifications limit sounds to 30 seconds. So even if you have your Timer+ sound to a looped sound, it will sound for a maximum of 30 seconds.
If you have your notification setting set to Banner (Temporary), you'll hear the sound only while the temporary banner is visible on the screen, just a few seconds.
To make the sounds play for the full 30 seconds, make sure you set Timer+'s notification banner style to persistent. You can do this by going to the Settings app > Timer+ > Notifications > Banner Style. https://www.iphonelife.com/content/how-to-set-your-iphone-lock-screen-notifications-to-last-longer
When an Apple Watch is paired to your iPhone
When you have an Apple Watch paired to your iPhone, your iPhone will not sound and instead send the Timer+ notification to your watch when:
- Your iPhone is locked or asleep.
- Your Watch is unlocked and on your wrist.
Otherwise, your Timer+ notification will show on your iPhone.